Friday, November 14, 2008

Fried You!! Friday: Fashion Faux Pas

TGIF!! I’m sure everyone woke up this morning excited about the weekend. It has been a very long and EVENTFUL week. As the season (and weather changes) fashion trends also change. In the constantly changing world of fashion, it not hard to look too out of place. But there are some things that are wrong in every season.

Here is a list of Top Five Fashion Faux Pas

1. Too Many Accessories- Coco Chanel said it best when she said “When accessorizing, always take off the last thing you put on.” Is it really necessary to wear every necklace you have? It especially pains me when I see people who wear two colors from head to toe. You know you’ve seen it before: White shirt, Jeans, Red Hoop Earrings (Plastic), Red Stilettos, and Red Waist belt. :::Blank Stare at Red Waist belt:::

2. Exposed Panty lines (Visible Thongs)-Okay so I know what you are saying everyone should know better. News Flash!!! They Don’t!! This horrible fashion sin screams TACKY. TACKY.TACKY! Enough Said.


3.Spandex is a Privilege – With the emergnce of leggings everyone has begin wearing spandex. (I wish they came with instructions) There is nothing wrong with Spandex they are just not for everyone. I know many of us have curves and we are all beautiful in our own right. But a part of being beautiful is being tasteful. Knowing what to wear and how to wear it is important. No one looks good in everything. Discernment is key. The Mirror Never Lies….Take pictures for a second opinion.


4. Looking like you’ve just rolled out of bed…..at 3pm. Looking sloppy is always in poor taste. Over the past decade, more casual clothes for day wear have been created. But this is being taken to the extreme. With any luck, this trend will die out… SOON! I know we are all in college and there are days when we wake up just in time to make it to that 8:30am Econ class. Take pride in your appearance. First impressions are lasting ones. I’m not saying wear a full face of makeup and three inch heels across the diag everyday. But throw on some cute flats, jeans and nice sweater every once in a while.
It really makes all the difference.

Not so Breaking News!!! Wearing any type of headgear that you sleep in outside of your bedroom is a cardinal sin. This includes but is not limited to scarves, nightcaps, bonnets, and rollers. For those of you who didn’t think this was a problem consider yourself informed….

5. Bubble Coats- I know a lot of you will have a problem with this final faux pas. But I would be very remiss if I did not include it. Where do I start??? We live in Michigan and we all know its gets more than just cold and when its 20 below outside your first priority is and should be too keep warm. However, there are ways of doing this without looking like an abominable snow man. Bubble Coats are acceptable on two occasions: when skiing and when visiting Alaska. I personally think voluminous coats are really hard to wear without feeling or looking 9 months preggers. Unless that’s the look you are going for wear a nice wool coat with a warm scarf. I promise you’ll be warm.



Unacceptable


Now let me say that all bubble coats are not created equal. I have seen a few (picture) that are cute some I’ve even considered purchasing myself. But I am still an advocate of variety. If you own one of these switch it up from time to time. And please please, please dot wear the bubble coat on top of your Sunday’s best… or any best for that matter…Never a Good Look.



Acceptable



Disclaimer: We realize that everyone does not care about fashion and to those people this blog was not written for you. However, there are those of you who try to be fashion conscious and we hope these tips come in handy.


Fashionably Yours,

Evette

"Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future" Coco Chanel

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

I love it!
Soooooooo true!

November 14, 2008 at 2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I was with you until the bubble coat. I'd rather be warm, then to be freezing in a pea coat. I wear my cute coats until it get's below freezing. We live in Ann Arbor, we wait for buses, when it get's cold, keeping your body warm is more important than fashion. and we all know that cute coats are NOT warm.

November 14, 2008 at 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, accessories are fine as long as your coordinated. No bizarre colors or shapes. Second, thongs are used to express your shape not expose it. So, if you show it then everybody knows it. Third, spandex are for everyone they just aren't meant to be seen by everyone. If you are not the right shape then cover the portion that isn't so fit and let the leggings give you that extraness that you might have been aiming for originally. Fourth, if you just rolled out of bed then you need to roll back in and try again. Sit up, stretch out, and begin, you will feel better and people will be able to tell. Fifth, I have to disagree completely with the bubble coat idea. Michigan is too too too cold and changing into a wool sweater will keep you warm from one side of the street to the other. If anything people wearing those shoes that fit just right or shoes that seem as if they are too big because you can't walk in them is just something that you shouldn't do. If you feel odd, trust me you look just as odd. I now they're whats in, but you shouldn't be the one "in" them.

November 15, 2008 at 12:40 AM  
Blogger Topaz said...

I was doing so well until you mentioned the bubble coat faux pas. Thats me right there. I have had one for four years, and it has never failed me. The only problem is that it is ugly and it looks childish. I even wore it to job interviews! (No, I didn't get the jobs...). I'm not sure that I like the look of the belted bubble coat but I definitely think that I need to take a trip to Burlington Coat Factory and find something that is fashionable yet warm.

November 16, 2008 at 12:07 AM  
Blogger TOBZ101 said...

Loved the article and its soooo true! although, there are fashionable alternatives to looking cute and staying warm! Maybe invest in a Northface jacket or something

November 16, 2008 at 2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fashion should be functional!

-Mike

November 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home