A Slave To Fashion?

As we blog about The Fashionable Life, it is important to differentiate between being a fashionista(o) and being a slave to fashion, because often times people get caught in the gray area. Below are 5 simple ways to avoid becoming the victim of fashion trends.
1. Although it is entertaining to keep up with all the new fashion trends, the "What's Hot and What's Not" lists, and admire all the photo spreads in the latest issue of Vogue, we must realize that at the end of day it is all marketing tactics and none of these things should become our actual creed for fashion, instead we should create our own.
2. Fashion trends quickly manifest into something ordinary, typical and average and that's because most people run out to buy a replica of what they saw in the magazines or on t.v, leaving you and everyone else looking the same. It's great to incorporate fashion trends into your wardrobe BUT you should at least accent it with your own twist and originality.
3. Wear what looks good on you and not what looks good on the models and mannequins. Simple enough.
4. Labels aren't everything. Quality clothes exist independently of a logo or a label and people that buy designer clothes for the sole reason of showing off are clearly slaves to fashion. Spending $800 on Christian Louboutins and then not being able to pay your month's rent (true story) is absolutely ridiculous, and although an extreme example, sadly, things of these sort do happen. Also, wearing multiple designer labels at once is a no-no, a Gucci bag, True Religion jeans, and Coach shoes and a Burberry scarf screams tacky!!!
5. You don't have to conform to fashion rules, takes the season's trends and inspire your own style.
- "I don't do fashion, I am fashion" - Coco Chanel

5 Comments:
I agree with all of those, especially number 4 I hate when people wear 5,000 different designer labels and think its ok just because they are namebrand....
That is a good point. Some people need to just let their guard down sometimes and no that doesn't mean that you should just roll out of bed and put the first thing you see in the closet on. Get dressed for you because the person who you saw wearing it did it for them. What did they ultimately end up doing, setting the trend. Doing your own style will set the trend for your environment.
It is sooo important to have your own style. To often you see "barbie-dolls" walking down the street together with the same outfit on and hair the same way! Its cool to get inspiration for a particular outfit that you are going to wear but at the same time, Make it your own! And as far as labels go, As i said in a previous blog, People often get labels confused with fashion! Just because you wearing The last ____(fill in the blank) doesnt mean you are FASHIONABLE! Most people are fashionable with names that are UNKNOWN but with great quality!
Danielle, I agree with you on a lot of issues raised in this post. For starters, I wish people understood that you should not intend on buying an outfit seen on a mannequin. They simply provide a theme/look.
Next, I believe there is a difference in being fashionable and having STYLE. I strive for the latter. Sometimes, people get the two words confused. Following trends will allow you to be fashionable. Looking through the trend at the concept, and being able to take elements from that concept and incorporate them into your characteristics is having style.
I believe the labels issue is where we may have a difference of opinion. Personally, I feel there is nothing wrong with wearing labels for the right reasons. Buying into expensive labels because of the name on the tag is rediculous. Understanding the quality behind the label is what you should study. Wearing a specific label does NOT mean you have style. It simply means, you are wearing a specific label. Also, the criticsm one will recieve for wearing more than one label is quite elementary. In actuality you were plenty of different labels everyday (unless every piece you have on is made from the same designer, and that's just weird). What should be stressed is the intention. Having the intention on wearing "labels" will earn you the title "label whore." If you happen to be wearing a Helmut Lang coat, and your cashmere scarf is from Burberry and your shoes are Lanvin, IT'S OK. If the pieces look good, then you're fine. NOW, it is a problem when you purposefully wear these labels for the sake of being able to say that you have them on. I think this idea gets a bad rap. I must stress that it's the intention folks, all about the intention.
-Mike
I agree with you Mike, I didn't want to make my blog extremely long so i couldn't fully expand on all my steps but what your saying are the exact points i was getting at. Quality comes come at a price and I am believer in quality over quantity but for the aesthetic reasons not because I buy into the labels. Some of the finest designers don't even have their logo's plastered all over their clothing but like you said Its all about the intent.
Thanks for all your responses.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home