Tuesday, November 18, 2008

WEAR it or ROCK it?


Too many times we’re concerned about what we’re wearing; maybe it’s not the most expensive designer or recognizable name. But, on second thought, is it really what we’re wearing that matters most, or how we’re wearing it? When we think about fashion, usually stick-figure, couture models (with no sort of curves or noticeable flaws) come to mind. However, this year, fashion organizations like the University of Michigan’s NOiR are changing that image. They’ve partnered with the DOVE Real Beauty Campaign to illustrate that ‘rocking it,’ or knowing that ‘you rock’ and are more worthy than any type of material brand, is more important than ‘wearing it.’ Recently the campaign reported that “75% of girls with low self-esteem engage in negative activities, such as disordered eating, cutting, smoking or drinking when feeling badly about themselves.” But, it’s time that we reclaim our self-esteem.

Don’t let those cheap t-shirts and bummy-jeans make you feel like a bum too. Real women (and men) come from all backgrounds, shapes, and sizes. Moreover, a study done by the Chicago Tribune found that the majority of those surveyed thought the most attractive trait in the opposite sex is confidence.

So today, stand up straight, put those shoulders back, and whether you’re wearing a Target t-shirt or a Versace Vest, size 0 Marc Jacobs or size 12 Forever 21 Jeans, rock it through the Diag like it’s the best clothing combination anyone has seen. Don’t let the clothes wear you, but let your inside shine out and rock the clothes.

For more information visit http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/ and stay tuned for NOiR’s, Ann Arbor-wide, Real Beauty Workshops starting January 2009.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really loving this blog today!! I agree, what you wear doesn't make you, but you make what you wear. I can't wait to see how noir perpetuates this attitude during their annual fashion show.

November 18, 2008 at 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i concur!!! It's all about confidence... i can throw on a target brand white v-neck and rock it like i'm wearing an armani suit... lol 2 girls can be wearing the exact same dress but one's hot and one's not just because one has more confidence in how she's rockin it!

November 18, 2008 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Evette said...

Great Job Dani!!

November 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger TOBZ101 said...

I love this article! I HATE how people judge others by where they buy their clothes from. Its not all about the labels that you have on. Its about putting together something that looks right for you. So my $25 dollar outfit from H & M probably can out shine your $250 outfit from Saks Fifth! The difference is that people get too obsessed with LABELS and less concerned with Style, fit, SWAGG!!

November 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 19, 2008 at 12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the events!! Everybody's been talking about going. It's something new & fresh for the campus!

November 19, 2008 at 9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The words were taken right out of my mouth. For real, I have woke up sometimes and threw on the first thing that I saw and got some compliments on it just because I didn't care about what everyone thought as long as I was comfortable and warm. NO matter what, your SWAGG is always better than the TAG.

November 19, 2008 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger Topaz said...

Wow, you all are partnered with Dove? What a great idea. I have been a fan of their campaign for the past few years. I'm excited to see what impact this will have on our campus. The message in this post was very inspirational. Kudos to the author.

November 20, 2008 at 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home